Monday 11 July 2011

101 things to do with rhubarb

Someone should write that book. I couldn't. I only know 2 things to do with rhubarb. Crumble and cake.

We've got a lot of rhubarb. Andrew's mum Sue bought us a rhubarb plant last year and after a year's wait it is now serving us very well. It's very nice being able to take home a big bunch of rhubarb every time we visit the allotment. It just keeps growing. The only problem is I have such a small rhubarb repertoire. It needs expanding. Suggestions welcome please.

Here's the crumble I made this evening, and a few weeks ago too:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rhubarbcrumble_11396

It was delicious. Both times.

A few weeks ago I made a rhubarb cake with a crumble topping. It was also quite tasty. Fruity and moist and not too sweet. Here's a recipe that might be the one I used but I can't remember. I certainly didn't use a loaf tin though.  http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/rhubarb-cake/
I had all sorts of trouble finding a cake tin of the right size. I ended up having to transfer the mixture out of a too-small tin into a too-big tin because, despite owning more cake tins than is strictly necessary for a household of our size, we didn't have the right one. I thought bigger was better than smaller. The cake was wide and flat but at least it didn't spill all over the bottom of the oven.

If anyone's got any good gooseberry recipes, those will be gratefully received as well.

6 comments:

  1. http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/rhubarb-fool/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ICE CREAM, cocktails and safe pretty Edward scissor hands' fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, rhubarb cake. you have just doubled my rhubarb repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the ideas! I seem to remember that I didn't like gooseberry fool when I was young, or any kind of fool for that matter. But I did have a bit of a dairy aversion as a child. I should try it again and see if I've grown into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/other-recipes/creamy-rhubarb-vodka-cocktail - delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you make rhubarb jam? Or chutney? they were talking about gooseberries on the Today programme, I think this morning - there was no news because of the journalists' strike. I can't remember whether they talked about what to do with them, but they did mention a man who grows 40 varieties or something.

    ReplyDelete