Thursday 15 April 2010

The long-awaited greenhouse post no. 1

This story should be told from the beginning. It is the story of a very resourceful man with some excellent carpentry skills and even better scavenging skills.

On the day of our second ever trip to our allotment, we popped in to Andrew's parents to pick up our tools (we keep them there as my 6th floor flat doesn't have much room for anything, let alone spades and forks). We mentioned to Andrew's dad that we were thinking of building a shed, or even perhaps a greenhouse... We talked a little bit about twobyfours and other things that I didn't understand and then left for a days hard digging.

Two weeks and two holidays (me to Poland, Andrew to Chicago) later, Andrew had a phonecall from his Dad.
"I was driving past a house that was having its windows replaced. I thought I'd take the windows home with me, they might be useful for your greenhouse". We popped round to find a whole house-worth of windows in the Craig back garden. And a glass door.I wish I'd taken a photo.

Two more weeks, and Steve had transformed the windows and some pallets that he'd found somewhere, into a beautiful greenhouse and shed combination, with built in cupboards. I shouldn't have been surprised. Steve has built three sheds of his own in his garden, all mostly out of bits of wood he has found. Amazing. Sheds bought new from B and Q cost at least £100. Greenhouses cost loads more. We are very grateful!

A few weeks ago, the Craigs and I went to the allotment to put the shed up there. Actually the Craigs put up the shed, and I stood around being a bit useless, and handing people the occasional hammer or nail. Here are some photos of the building process. All we need now are some locks for the doors and some plants.




Photos of the finished building will follow shortly.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the ants, they help keep the greenfly at bay

    ReplyDelete
  2. inshedible! haha.

    ReplyDelete