Monday 12 April 2010

The unforeseen hazards of allotment keeping

1. Backache
2. Perpetually dirty fingernails
3. Callouses (Andrew has these already, from climbing, but they are new to my previously soft, smooth hands)
4. Ants. Ants!! There are hundreds of them. We need to work out how to get rid of them. Suggestions welcome.
5. Mud/soil/dust. Everywhere. Literally everywhere. The car is full of it, my handbag has a fine coating at the bottom, the pockets of all my jeans have a light dusting inside. I found a load in my bed the other day.
6. Backache. It deserves another mention because it hurts while you're digging and also when you wake up the next morning.

1 comment:

  1. I read up on removing ants from the soil. Apparently they aren't really a problem but the best way to get rid of them (apart from evil chemicals) is to keep the soil well-watered and add lots of compost. Shouldn't be too difficult then.

    ReplyDelete